Happy New Year!
Welcome to 2017.
It is an exciting time for New Year’s Resolutions. Plans for all that we would like to change and improve in our lives.
Are you going to be amongst the 8% of people that achieve their New Year’s Resolution?
Here are a few tips on how to stay motivated:
- Have a goal that you are excited about – Write it down. Research has proven that you are more likely to achieve your goal if it is written down.
- Remind yourself of your goal daily – Read your goal aloud at least once a day.
- Make small changes gradually – Break down your goal into manageable bits.
- Celebrate the wins – Write them down. Have a jar with a note pad next to it. Jot down the positive things that have happened and place it in the jar. Read them when you are feeling discouraged as it helps remind you of how far you have come. At the end of 2017 read and celebrate all that you have achieved.
- Be accountable – Find someone that will encourage you along the way and hold you accountable when you aren’t sticking to your goal. Coaches are great at this and will also help you find what is preventing you from achieving your goals and how to overcome them.
- Don’t use absolutes – Don’t deny yourself. For example if your goal is to give up chocolate, don’t say that you will never eat chocolate again. Rather allow yourself to eat chocolate when celebrating a special occasion. It is easier to gradually eliminate habits without feeling that you are denying yourself.
- Do what is right not what is easy – Your future self with thank you for it. Hard work pays off.
May 2017 be your best year yet!