This week is all about love. Valentine’s Day is marketed as being about love.
I don’t know about you but, it feels like society’s way of encouraging you to spend money and make an effort on those you love for just one day per year.
True love starts with loving yourself. It is when you love yourself that you are able to wholeheartedly and genuinely able to love others.
It is only with a full cup that you can truly share and give love to others.
Whitney Houston sings about the Greatest Love of All – the art of loving yourself first. You already have everything that you need, you don’t have to be anything but just look inside yourself.
A few tips on how to start loving yourself:
- Learn to Discern – Question everything. Decide for yourself if something is true for you. It is OK to say: No, that isn’t true for me.
- Be your own Bestie – Treat yourself like you would your best friend.
- Grow from your Imperfection – Embrace and accept your flaws as an opportunity for growth.
- Don’t Judge or Criticise yourself – Allow yourself the space to accept whatever comes up and mindfully love that.
- Practice self-care – Learn how to do loving tasks to nurture who you are.
- Speak up – Stand up for yourself and be your own advocate. Honour who you are and your own needs.
- Investigate those core beliefs that keep you small – Those little thoughts that make you think you are not enough or do not have what it takes.
As you love yourself more, so you will be able to love others and not only on Valentines Day.